Saturday, September 10, 2011

MY CURRENT CHINA PAINTS for painting on porcelain (incl. ball-jointed porcelain dolls)

     This is my current collection of china paint and some additives. Some additives did not register, they are supposed to be mixed in with other colors. While my initial plan is to color dolls, which pretty much do not need a lot of the colors above, I decided to have more selection, because I did not want to spend additional time and money on shipping, if I wanted to satisfy my curiosity later.

     I got the top 4 colors and additives from Jean Nordquist Dolls. It's the Doll Master Set. I had thought about saving money by just ordering a few colors, but towards the end, I realized that I should just get the Master Set, since I would continue to be curious about the rest of the colors they offer. (LINK 1). The last two rows are from Paints and Porcelain. This time, I chose a few colors, some of which I really just wanted. (LINK 2) Once again, I don't expect myself to use all the colors on the ceramic porcelain dolls. Here is another online store Colorific Porcelain (LINK 3), here is another Kathy Peterson's The Good Stuff (LINK 4), here is another Doris M. Ackilli Studio (LINK 5) and here's one more: Virginia LaVorgna (LINK 6). You can follow all the links to their online stores. I really just called the first two, because they were the first on my list. The second link, however, Paints and Porcelain, the owner Earleen Rowell was the most helpful, although she did suggest for me to use the Willoughby china paint I get from her on glazed, and not unglazed, and preferably gloss.

     The paints and additives you see above surprisingly total to about $300. Except for the last row, they come in what is called drams, they are like tiny vials.  The last row come in liquid form, but they are still small little bottles. The cost added up. Basically, there is no way you would want to order from all the stores.

     I used unfinished bisque tile, which I got from Dick Blick's. This would naturally be the first I could share with you, because I painted on the unfinished bisque. I did not just want to see the pigments, but I wanted to see how well they will stick to the surface without any layer of glaze.

     I have three more tiles, which I just coated with Amaco Clear Transparent Gloss (very shiny), Amaco Clear Transparent Matte (no shine at all), and Duncan Clear Satin Glaze. The reason I'm using Duncan Clear Satin Glaze is that it was the only satin glaze the store had. I don't (yet) have a preference for brands. I'll share the pictures as soon as I finish painting the china paint on them. There are two tiles at Cone 05 in the kiln right now, so I'm just now curing the glazes before I start painting china paint patches again.

     I'm thinking the effect will be different on the glazed tiles because the tiles would be sealed. The ceramic bisque tile above absorbed a lot of mineral oil. The mineral oil did not just float on the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will approve as soon as possible