Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Work in Progress Anatomically Correct Porcelain Dolls by me as usual (Valentino Zubiri)

Sorry, but I feel I have to keep repeating my name on the heading to get in the search engines. I have 28 pictures above and below, of 9 porcelain ball-jointed (bjd) dolls, by yours truly, Val Zubiri / Valentino Zubiri. My earlier blog entry enjoyed a lot of visitors, because I told people my dolls this time would be painted / carved so they will be anatomically correct. I made about 13 new faces, but it is difficult to maintain the same amount of body parts, some of them broke during the early stages.

While photoediting, the skin tone darkened to a more realistic, human-like hue and saturation. I liked the result, but the dolls are actually lighter and more pink. Just letting everyone know. I liked the illusion of a more human skin tone.

I used thicker leather to line the joints. I actually liked the result. The dolls got a little taller and even more statuesque than the 6 dolls I finished last July. Well, a lot of other artists use "paper-thin" leather. As soon as I read about this, I wanted to do the opposite. I'm not into the illusion of making them near-human and near-perfect. What I make is what I make. 

I also used stretchy elastic cords instead of steel springs for this group of 9, and will do the same for a few more. My rationale for this is that even though I am promoting this as "Art Dolls" and not toys, it is more convenient for an art collector to replace the elastic cords when the cords wear out and come loose, than to send the dolls back to me to replace the steel springs. The first 6 dolls that I finished in July have steel springs. 

The steel wire for making the steel springs needs to be the right gauge and have the right "stretchiness" and length to work. If someone like a child accidentally pulls a steel spring past it's tolerated force, the doll will have to be sent back to me for repairs. I cannot guarantee still being able to repair my dolls 200 years from now. 

On the other hand, if the elastic cord comes loose, the collector just needs to go to the nearest fabric store and buy the similar sized elastic cord. The elastic cord is also fabric lined. This means that the woven threads that cover the rubber core will continue to hold, preventing the doll pieces from exploding or falling apart and dropping on a hard surface and breaking. The doll will simply just loosen; not explode unmanageably.

I have been checking out other doll makers / dollmakers. "One of a kind," or "OOAK," is different for every artist. We obviously repeatedly use the same molds for the bodies. Most artists also have more than one doll head / face that they use . One of a kind to most of us also takes into consideration the variation in the costumes and the hair style, and even the variation in the eyes, eyebrows and makeup, even if we use the same doll head mold.  As you can see, I do my best to use a doll head / doll face once.

I highly suspect that eventually, I will use a doll's head once for a collector, and once again for a collection that would tour. It occurred to me to make duplicates of the costumes, so that a collector can keep one and the second one that is almost an exact replica will be mine to tour. The thing is, just thinking about doing the same thing twice seems to be too much work, when I probably should look into producing a wide variety, especially at my early stage.

I do plan to sculpt new body parts from scratch, but I feel I have to make a good number from my original molds. I am not yet after "perfect" sculptures / prototypes, because I feel the more imperfections I put in my dolls, the more I appreciate them. I know it's a phase. I'm still at a learning stage.

I will show the back of the heads later. I signed and dated them behind the left ear, PLUS I also placed unique serial numbers below the signatures and dates. If I decide to make a few faces from the same head mold, I will know and be able to keep track of them through the serial numbers, and hopefully, in the long run, so will my future collectors.

I'm still looking for galleries, a literary / book agent and a publisher for my books. I'm simultaneously editing and reviewing a few books. I'm not really keeping track of how many books I have, because aside from my written books, I have illustrated books as well, of my past drawings and paintings, plus I'm also working on a few novels. It might look as if I have a lot of time in my hands, but I really don't. Just getting to this point in the porcelain dollmaking process has used up a lot of months. I fantasize writing a book a day, but in reality, writing projects also takes time.

Actually, I AM letting the information out here on the internet that I am looking for a New York gallery, and maybe London, but I'm really not seriously looking. I want to make a good number of works first, then propose it to be featured in the media, then I'll more seriously look for a gallery and a literary agent.

All my works will also eventually end up in at least one book, so if you are a collector, I'm very sure that if you get anything from me right now, you will see your collection in a commercially-available book, something like a comprehensive book of all my finished works, which may be nude / naked or costumed.

I'm not quite sure if my next thing to do will be costuming all of them at the same time, or making the wigs, or proceeding to finalize each doll before moving on to the next. I'm actually playing with the idea of making more body parts to make more nude / naked dolls before I proceed to the hair and costumes. I'm also debating whether to sell them per piece or as a group / collage / diorama. I've been imagining them as if they were a group of school girls wearing the same uniform. Hmmm.

Once again, the pictures are fair use / for non-commercial use only. I would appreciate it if you keep mentioning that my works will only go up in value, and especially as soon as I get into a really super expensive gallery or as soon as more people discover my writing, which are all part of my proposed Memoir of an Artist Series.

I plan to begin painting again in the near future, but how soon this will be, I'm not entirely sure. I got into making dolls, which is really time-consuming.

Dollmaking is not like painting. Painting only involves paints, brushes and a flat surface. Making dolls involves a lot of disciplines. Sculpting on polymer clay, making plaster molds, fashion design and sewing, wigmaking, shoemaking, jewelry and metallurgy, stained glass and enameling, set design, etc.

I'm just writing fast. I'm not checking grammatical errors here. The 28 pics in this entry took me 8 hours to photoedit. A lot of things I do takes time, but I also know how important it is to share my progress and pictures online. This is why I am sharing these anatomically correct ball-jointed (bjd) porcelain dolls even at this stage of having just finished the porcelain part.

By the way, I know I have to have a website, but I feel I have to finish a few more works. I'm also playing with the idea of getting at least one first doll on ebay, but I'm not sure if I should really just get a gallery to sell for me or start with ebay. I would suggest that you email me if you want to get one. We can come to a confidential agreement, because ebay has a tendency to permanently set prices. I have gallery friends, so I am familiar with the needs of a gallery, and it has always been my hope to eventually sell through galleries. Understandably, their prices would be reasonably high.

Thanks for reading. I hope you like my work more and more, and please feel free to use them, especially if you're a kid and you want to use them for yourself.

Please like my page on Facebook, here it is:






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will approve as soon as possible